TI Chronos Watch is Half-Off at TIDeals.com

TIDeals has its offer live. If you have been waiting for the watch, now is a good time to get it. Codes are given away once you enter the provided Captcha. The TI eStore has it for $24.50 with the code. Below are some interesting Chronos projects you may be interested in:

Features

What You Get In A Kit
    • eZ430-Chronos wireless watch
    • CC1111 USB RF access point
    • CD containing documentation and development software
    • eZ430 USB programming and debugging interface
    • 2 spare screws
    • Mini Phillips screwdriver
eZ430-Chronos Features:
    • Fully functional sports watch based on the CC430F6137
    • MSP430 with integrated
    • Watch reprogrammable for custom wireless applications
    • 96-Segment LCD display driven directly by CC430
    • Watch is 30m waterproof. See FAQ section in User Guide for details.

30 Comments

1. Thanks! Ordered one. Been waiting for a deal like this.

2. ok,
    I was very interested in it as a dev platform before. An already overstressed tech/gadget budget prevented the purchase of one though.
    But this deal just makes it too attractive, have to get one.

Thanks for the tip, and Cheers!

• Ok, it says the deal is sold out already. is that really the case?
      Because i also registered on the TI Deals site and did not receive a message when it started. Had to read on this board, and now apparently i’m already too late…

• Ah no, just a difference in ordering, and i happened to login right in the middle of the transition, check the site for the info :)

• So, Did you get it?

• Not yet, creditcard only as always, i will have acces to one this weekend.

But also trying to figure out what the difference is between the 3 models.

3. Does anyone have information on the range that I will get if I order the 433MHz version? I have some other 433MHz transceivers at home and this will fit in nicely IF I can get a range of more than a meter :)
    I am no RF expert, but I am not sure if they could manage to put an appropriate antenna inside the watch for 433MHz.

• Does not say which kit, but I’m hoping it is the 433Mhz. In pg 88 of the datasheet “eZ430-Chronos Development Tool”, it says:

“In free field distances of up to 100 m (328 ft) have been measured. The range in other conditions, especially within buildings, is hard to predict. It also depends on the protocol stack that is used”

• Yeah, I saw that earlier. But now, on the product wiki they say that the performance of the 433MHz is expected to be worse than the rest, but they never updated it since the 433MHz version was completed.

Now, I also noticed on the user guide BOM that the 433MHz uses an antenna designed for 868MHz and the 868MHz and 915MHz versions use one designed for 915MHz.

So, still I am unsure. I contacted TI support, but have not heard anything yet. I hoop I will before the special is over!

• It would be better if you ordered the watch and think about range later, lest you loose on the special.

• I’ve seen projects that worked out to ~10 meters, but they were using a non-TI transmitter (from Sparkfun, I think).

1/4 wave @ 915MHz = 81mm
      1/4 wave @ 868MHz = 1/8 wave @ 434MHz = 86.4mm

So a similar effective length antenna shouldn’t suffer horribly if they tune it for the right fraction. I haven’t received mine, so I can’t attest empirically that they did this, but I’ve seen hobbyist tests of the higher frequencies out to ~50m under good conditions

4. @MarkoeZ: See here: http://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp43016-bit_ultra-low_power_mcus/f/166/t/56485.aspx

“The 868-MHz and 915-MHz watch hardware are physically identical and the radio frequency is software selectable so it’s possible to switch frequency if necessary. However, the RF Access Points for the two respective kits are slightly different. The 868-MHz Access Point has a 0Ω resistor next to the antenna and the 915-MHz version does not. The 433-MHz kit is different than the other versions in both software and hardware.”

5. Ok, that saves me some googling, thanks for the info.

Will probably just go for the 868-mhz on then

6. Well I tried to order tonight, but its already sold out… Why the heck did they post a closing date of august 30th then :(

Booo

• use this code to get 50% off
      CHRONOS_50
      and yes evryone can use this(multiple use)

ENJOY!

• Messages on twitter seem to indicate that that new code is working, going to try a.s.a.p (read, when not in the middle of the night anymore)

Thanks!

• Could you point me to that tweet. Thanks!

• well this code was sent to few people by ti with some other codes for various products.
            i got it from my friend so just shared with some people who missed it on tideals.

7. hey guys i ordered the 433Mhz version 2 days ago n today i saw this page,i want to know is there any problem with 433Mhz version? i made a mistake by ordering that?

• Depends on where you are. Each region has a different operating frequency depending on the local laws.

• plz read my reply below.

8. well no problem with the laws.
    i was asking about hardware and firmware,is there any problem with these?

9. well no problem with the laws n me from india n 433Mhz is fine here.
    i was asking about hardware and firmware,is there any problem with firmware or hardware of 433Mhz version?

10. i was trying to reply to ur comment but by mistake replied at wrong place. sorry.
    well no problem with the laws n me from india n 433Mhz is fine here.
    i was asking about hardware and firmware,is there any problem with firmware or hardware of 433Mhz version.

• There are no problems. Just a slight difference in hardware:

11. Well I received my order confirmation, dont dare to be too excited yet, at least untill shipping is confirmed, but everyrhing seems good :)

Thanks a lot Geentash!

• ouch, sorry man, Geetansh :s

• welcome markoez
        my watch is on its way.
        are you on facebook or twitter??
        gimme ur email id or fb id,i will be able to discuss wht i m doing with my watch n what u r doing with it.
        my email is geetansh1991@gmail.com

12. I guess it’s gone now. I don’t see an offer on the site. I guess no one wants these watches any more. The bluetooth version makes a lot more sense because it can communicate with a phone.

Submit a Comment